NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Chapter three Metals and non-metals to be had here in pdf for clean get entry to and download.
Chemistry college students already realize that elements are classified as metals and non-metals. In Class 10 science textbook, they will explore the choices topic in more element in bankruptcy three. They will study the physical as well as the chemical residences of metals and non-metals, extraction techniques, the primary differences among the two, recognize and classify chemical reactions or changes.
Have a have a look at NCERT Exemplar magnificence 10 technology bankruptcy 3 PDF underneath.
1. Which of the following assets is generally not proven by means of metals?
(b) Sonorous in nature
Answer is (c) Dullness
2. The potential of metals to be drawn into skinny wires is called
The answer is (a) ductility
three. Aluminium is used for making cooking utensils. Which of the following residences of aluminium are chargeable for the equal?
(i) Good thermal conductivity
(ii) Good electric conductivity
(iv) High melting factor
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (i) and (iii)
(c) (ii) and (iii)
(d) (i) and (iv)
The solution is (d) (i) and (iv)
Ductility and electric powered conductivity haven’t any relation to cooking subsequently thermal conductivity, and excessive melting point are the choices right answers.
4. Which one of the following metals does now not react with bloodless as well as warm water?
The solution is (d) Fe
Sodium and Calcium react vigorously with water and Magnesium reacts with warm water to form Magnesium Oxide. Iron does no longer react with bloodless and warm water, but it reacts with steam.
five. Which of the subsequent oxide(s) of iron might be received on the choices prolonged reaction of iron with steam?
(d) Fe2O3 and Fe3O4
The solution is (c) Fe3O4
6. What occurs whilst calcium is handled with water?
(i) It does not react with water
(ii) It reacts violently with water
(iii) It reacts much less violently with water
(iv) Bubbles of hydrogen gas fashioned keep on with the surface of calcium
(a) (i) and (iv)
(b) (ii) and (iii)
(c) (i) and (ii)
(d) (iii) and (iv)
The solution is (d) (iii) and (iv)
Calcium reacts vigorously with water and paperwork hydrogen, for you to make calcium to waft.
7. Generally, metals react with acids to provide salt and hydrogen gasoline. Which of the subsequent acids does now not give hydrogen gas on reacting with metals (except Mn and Mg)?
(d) All of those
Answer is (c) HNO3
Nitric acid is a powerful oxidizing agent. It reacts with the steel to form water.
8. The composition of aqua-regia is
(a) Dil.HCl: Conc. HNO3 3: 1
(b) Conc.HCl: Dil. HNO3 three : 1
(c) Conc.HCl: Conc.HNO3 3 : 1
(d) Dil.HCl: Dil.HNO3 three: 1
The answer is (c) Conc.HCl: Conc.HNO3 three: 1
nine. Which of the following aren’t ionic compounds?
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (ii) and (iii)
(c) (iii) and (iv)
(d) (i) and (iii)
The answer is (b) (ii) and (iii)
HCl and CCl4 are covalent compounds; therefore they can not be ionic.
10. Which one of the following houses isn’t always typically exhibited through ionic compounds?
(a) Solubility in water
(b) Electrical conductivity in solid-country
(c) High melting and boiling points
(d) Electrical conductivity in a molten kingdom
The answer is (b) Electrical conductivity in strong-nation
In an ionic compound, loose ions are not available in strong-country consequently strong ionic compounds cannot conduct power.
11. Which of the following metals exist in their local country in nature?
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (ii) and (iii)
(c) (ii) and (iv)
(d) (iii) and (iv)
The answer is (c) (ii) and (iv)
Gold and silver are non-reactive metals due to they may be non-reactive they exist in the local nation in nature.
12. Metals are subtle through the usage of different methods. Which of the following metals are refined by means of electrolytic refining?
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (i) and (iii)
(c) (ii) and (iii)
(d) (iii) and (iv)
The answer is (d) (iii) and (iv)
Sodium and potassium are at the choices pinnacle in reactivity collection as a result they can be delicate via electrolytic refining.
13. Silver articles become black on extended exposure to air. This is due to the choices formation of
(d) Ag2S and Ag3N
Answer is (c) Ag2S
Silver steel reacts with sulphur present within the atmosphere to shape Ag2S. Ag2S is liable for black colouration of silver articles.
14. Galvanisation is a way of defensive iron from rusting by way of coating with a thin layer of
The answer is(c) Zinc
Galvanization is a procedure of applying a layer of Zinc on iron through the usage of electrolysis.
15. Stainless metal is a very beneficial material for our existence. In chrome steel, iron is blended with
(a) Ni and Cr
(b) Cu and Cr
(c) Ni and Cu
(d) Cu and Au
The solution is (a) Ni and Cr
Stainless steel is an alloy of Iron, Nicker and chromium. This alloy makes the steel strong, long lasting and corrosion-resistant.
16. If copper is kept open inside the air, it slowly loses its shining brown surface and profits a green coating. It is due to the formation of
The answer is (d) CuO
On publicity to air, copper reacts to atmospheric oxygen to form copper oxide layer that is green in color.
17. Generally, metals are solid in nature. Which one of the following metals is located in liquid nation at room temperature?
The answer is (d) Hg
18. Which of the subsequent metals are received by means of electrolysis of their chlorides in molten state?
(a) (i) and (iv)
(b) (iii) and (iv)
(c) (i) and (iii)
(d) (i) and (ii)
The solution is (d) (i) and (ii)
Sodium and Calcium are within the top in reactivity collection
19. Generally, non-metals aren’t lustrous. Which of the subsequent nonmetal is lustrous?
The solution is (d) Iodine
20. Which one of the following four metals might be displaced from the answer of its salts by using the opposite 3 metals?
The solution is (b) Ag
Because silver is a non-reactive metallic it can be displaced without problems.
21. 2 mL each of concentrated HCl, HNO3 and a mixture of focused HCl and concentrated HNO3 inside the ratio of three: 1 have been taken in take a look at tubes labelled as A, B and C. A small piece of steel become put in every check tube. No exchange passed off in test tubes A and B but the metallic got dissolved in take a look at tube C respectively. The steel can be
The answer is (b) Au
Answer is gold because solution C is a mixture of Concentrated HCL and Concentrated HNO3 that is called aqua regia. Aqua Regia dissolves gold.
(c) a homogeneous mixture
(d) a heterogeneous mixture
The solution is (c) a homogeneous mixture
An Alloy is a homogeneous mixture because its composition is uniform.
23. An electrolytic cellular consists of
(i) undoubtedly charged cathode
(ii) negatively charged anode
(iii) definitely charged anode
(iv) negatively charged cathode
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (iii) and (iv)
(c) (i) and (iii)
(d) (ii) advert (iv)
The answer is (b) (iii) and (iv)
24. During electrolytic refining of zinc, it gets
(a) deposited on cathode
(b) deposited on anode
(c) deposited on the cathode as well as anode
(d) remains within the solution
The solution is (a) deposited on cathode
Zinc is undoubtedly charged subsequently it moves closer to the negatively charged cathode.
25. An detail A is gentle and may be reduce with a knife. This is very reactive to air and cannot be kept open in the air. It reacts vigorously with water. Identify the element from the following
The solution is (b) Na
Sodium is tender which may be reduce with a knife. Sodium reacts with water and air vigorously as a result it’s miles saved in kerosene.
26. Alloys are homogeneous combinations of a steel with a metallic or nonmetal. Which many of the following alloys incorporate non-steel as certainly one of its constituents?
The answer is (d) Steel
Steel is an alloy made up of carbon and iron wherein carbon is a non-metallic.
27. Which the various following statements is wrong for magnesium steel?
(a) It burns in oxygen with a remarkable white flame
(b) It reacts with cold water to shape magnesium oxide and evolves hydrogen fuel
(c) It reacts with hot water to shape magnesium hydroxide and evolves hydrogen gasoline
(d) It reacts with steam to shape magnesium hydroxide and evolves hydrogen gas
The answer is (b) It reacts with cold water to form magnesium oxide and evolves hydrogen gas
Magnesium reacts with bloodless water to form magnesium oxide and evolves hydrogen gasoline is a wrong declaration due to the fact Magnesium Hydroxide is formed now not Magnesium oxide.
28. Which most of the following alloys incorporate mercury as one in every of its parts?
The solution is (d) Zinc amalgam
Zinc amalgam is an alloy of Mercury and Zinc
29. Reaction between X and Y, bureaucracy compound Z. X loses electron and Y gains electron. Which of the following homes isn’t shown by way of Z?
(a) Has a high melting point
(b) Has a low melting point
(c) Conducts electricity in molten nation
(d) Occurs as strong
The answer is (b) Has a low melting factor
Here Z is an ionic compound and Ionic compounds have melting point therefore alternative b) is a wrong assertion.
30. The digital configurations of three elements X, Y and Z are X — 2, 8; Y — 2, 8, 7 and Z — 2, 8, 2. Which of the subsequent is accurate?
(a) X is a metal
(b) Y is a metal
(c) Z is a non-metal
(d) Y is a non-steel and Z is a metallic
The answer is (d) Y is a non-metallic and Z is a metal
Element Y has 3 electron in its outer that is electronegative in nature. Z has 2 electrons in its outermost shell therefore it’s miles electropositive. Hence it’s miles a metallic.
31. Although metals form fundamental oxides, which of the following metals shape an amphoteric oxide?
The solution is (c) Al
Oxides of Aluminum are both acidic and simple in nature. Hence aluminium oxides are amphoteric in nature.
32. Generally, non-metals are not conductors of power. Which of the following is a great conductor of electricity?
The solution is (b) Graphite
33. Electrical wires have a coating of an insulating cloth. The cloth, usually used is
(d) All may be used
Answer is (c) PVC
Sulphur is brittle in nature, as a result it can be used and Graphite is a superb conductor of electricity for this reason it can not be used as an insulator.
34. Which of the following non-metals is a liquid?
The answer is (b) Bromine
35. Which of the subsequent can undergo a chemical reaction?
The solution is (d) CuSO4 + Fe
Iron is greater reactive than copper as a result it displaces copper within the response to form Feso4.
36. Which one of the following figures effectively describes the process of electrolytic refining?
The solution is b)
Copper ions are dispersed from the choices undoubtedly charged anode and deposited on the choices negatively charged cathode.
37. Iqbal treated a lustrous, divalent detail M with sodium hydroxide. He located the choices formation of bubbles in a reaction combination. He made the equal observations while this detail became treated with hydrochloric acid. Suggest how can he identify the produced fuel. Write chemical equations for each the choices reactions.
To become aware of the choices produced fuel, lighted matchstick need to be delivered near the gasoline. If in shape stick burns with a “pop” sound, it suggests the evolution of Hydrogen fuel.
M+ 2NaOH → Na2MO2+ H2
M+ 2HCl →MCl2+H2
38. During the extraction of metals, electrolytic refining is used to attain natural metals. (a) Which fabric may be used as anode and cathode for refining of silver steel by this technique? (b) Suggest a appropriate electrolyte additionally. (c) In this electrolytic cell, where do we get pure silver after passing electric modern?
39. Why have to the choices metallic sulphides and carbonates be converted to metal oxides within the method of extraction of metallic from them?
Metal sulphides and carbonates are converted to steel oxides inside the technique of extraction of metal from them because metals may be obtained less complicated in oxide shape than its sulphide or carbonate shape.
forty. Generally, when metals are handled with mineral acids, hydrogen gas is liberated, however when metals (besides Mn and Mg), treated with HNO3, hydrogen isn’t liberated, why?
HNO3 is a robust oxidizing agent. It oxidises the choices liberated Hydrogen into the choices water whilst converting itself to nitrogen oxide.
forty one. Compound X and aluminium are used to sign up for railway tracks. (a) Identify the compound X (b) Name the reaction (c) Write down its response.
forty two. When a metal X is treated with cold water, it gives a simple salt Y with molecular formula XOH (Molecular mass = 40) and liberates a gas Z which without difficulty catches hearth. Identify X, Y and Z and additionally write the choices response worried.
X is Na because the choices molecular mass of NaOH is 40.
Hence Y is NaOH
Z is hydrogen has which catches fireplace whilst reacts with water.
2Na+2H2O → 2NaOH+H2
forty three. A non-steel X exists in exclusive forms Y and Z. Y is the choices hardest herbal substance, whereas Z is a great conductor of energy. Identify X, Y and Z.
X is Carbon, Y and Z are Diamond and Graphite, which are allotropes of the carbon.
forty four. The following response takes vicinity while the aluminium powder is heated with MnO2
three MnO2 (s) + 4 Al (s) → 3 Mn (l) + 2 Al2O3 (l) + Heat
(a) Is aluminium getting reduced? (b) Is MnO2 getting oxidised?
In this response, aluminium gets oxidized as oxygen receives blended with it. Since oxygen is eliminated from MnO2, it’s miles getting reduced.
45. What are the choices components of solder alloy? Which property of solder makes it suitable for welding electrical wires?
Solder alloy is product of Lead and aluminium. Its low melting factor makes it appropriate for welding electric wires.
forty six. A metallic A, that’s utilized in thermite manner, while heated with oxygen offers an oxide B, that’s amphoteric in nature. Identify A and B. Write down the reactions of oxide B with HCl and NaOH.
Metal A is Aluminium and B is Al→2O3
Al2O3+ 6HCl →2AlCl3+3H2O
47. A metal that exists as a liquid at room temperature is obtained by way of heating its sulphide within the presence of air. Identify the choices steel and its ore and deliver the reaction concerned.
Mercury is the metallic that is liquid at room temperature. Ore of Mercury is Cinnabar. When we warmth cinnabar in atmospheric oxygen following response takes location.
2HgS + 3O2→ 2HgO + 2SO2
Mercuric oxide is once more heated to get Mercury and Oxygen
2HgO [latex]oversetrightarrow[/latex] Hg+O2
forty eight. Give the formulae of the choices solid binary compounds that could be formed by way of the choices aggregate of the following pairs of factors.
(a) Mg and N2
(b) Li and O2
(c) Al and Cl2
(d) K and O2
(a) ZnCO3 is heated inside the absence of oxygen?
(b) a mixture of Cu2O and Cu2S is heated?
a) When ZnCO3 is heated within the absence of oxygen Zinc Oxide and Carbon-di-oxide are liberated.
b) When a mixture of Cu2O and Cu2S is heated, we get pure copper
2 Cu2O+ Cu2S →6Cu+SO2
50. A non-metallic A is an vital constituent of our food and paperwork two oxides B and C. Oxide B is poisonous whereas C reasons global warming
(a) Identify A, B and C
(b) To which Group of Periodic Table does A belong?
a) A is Carbon. B is Carbon monoxide and C is Carbon-dioxide
51. Give examples every: The metals which are desirable conductors and bad conductors of warmth, respectively.
Good conductors- Iron and Copper
Bad conductors- Lead and Mercury
52. Name one steel and one non-metallic that exist in a liquid nation at room temperature. Also, name two metals having a melting point much less than 310 K (37°C)
Mercury and Bromine are liquid at room temperature. Caesium and Gallium are the choices metals whose melting point is much less than 310K(37°c).
fifty three. An element A reacts with water to shape a compound B that’s used in whitewashing. The compound B on heating bureaucracy an oxide C which on remedy with water gives back B. Identify A, B and C and give the reactions worried.
A is calcium, B is calcium Hydroxide, and C is Calcium Oxide.
Ca+2H2O →Ca(OH)2+ H2
fifty four. An alkali steel A offers a compound B (molecular mass = forty) on reacting with water. The compound B offers a soluble compound C on remedy with aluminium oxide. Identify A, B and C and deliver the reaction concerned.
A is sodium and B is Sodium Hydroxide. Because the molecular mass of NaOH is 40. So C is Sodium Aluminate.
Al2O3 +2NaOH →2NaAlO2+H2O
55. Give the reaction involved during the choices extraction of zinc from its ore by way of (a) roasting of zinc ore (b) calcination of zinc ore
fifty six. A steel M does not liberate hydrogen from acids but reacts with oxygen to give a black coloration product. Identify M and black colored product and also provide an explanation for the choices response of M with oxygen.
Copper is the choices metal which does no longer react with acids. With oxygen, it forms Copper Oxide.
Metal M is Copper and black colored product is copper oxide.
fifty seven. An element bureaucracy an oxide A2O3 that’s acidic in nature. Identify A as steel or non-metallic.
A is a non-metallic due to the fact oxides of non-metals are acidic in nature.
58. A solution of CuSO4 turned into saved in an iron pot. After a few days, the choices iron pot changed into found to have some of holes in it. Explain the choices cause in phrases of reactivity. Write the choices equation of the choices reaction involved.
Iron is greater reactive than copper as a result Iron displaces Copper to produce FeSO4. In this manner, a part of Iron Gets dissolved which ends up in Holes in the pot.
Fe+ CuSO4 →FeSO4+ Cu
59. A non-metal A that’s the most important constituent of air, whilst heated with H2 in 1:three ratio in the presence of a catalyst (Fe) gives a fuel B. On heating with O2 it gives an oxide C. If this oxide is passed into water in the presence of air, it offers an acid D which acts as a strong oxidising agent.
(a) Identify A, B, C and D
(b) To which organization of periodic desk does this non-steel belong?
a)Non-metallic “A” is nitrogen due to the fact it’s miles the biggest constituent of air which constitute round 78% of the choices gases. B is Ammonia, C is Nitrogen-di-oxide and D is Nitric acid.
When heated with H2 in 1:three ratio inside the presence of a catalyst (Fe) following reaction takes region.
On heating Nitrogen with O2, it offers nitrogen-di-oxide
When nitrogen-dioxide is exceeded into the water inside the presence of air, it gives Nitric acid
NO2 + H2O →HNO3
b)Nitrogen belongs to organization 15
60. Give the steps involved inside the extraction of metals of low and medium reactivity from their respective sulphide ores.
During the choices extraction of metals of low and medium reactivity from their respective sulphide ores.
They are first heated inside the presence of atmospheric oxygen. This step will provide out oxides of steel. This step is used as it is a greater efficient technique to extract strategies.
Ex: Cinnabar is heated in air to get mercuric sulphide to oxidize to supply mercuric oxide.
Mercuric oxide is in addition warmness to get Mercury
Zinc is a metallic of medium reactivity, and its ore is Zinc Blende
Zinc Blend is roasted to get Zinc oxide
Zinc oxide while heated wit CO2 Zinc is obtained
(a) Reactivity of Al decreases if it’s far dipped in HNO3
(b) Carbon can’t reduce the choices oxides of Na or Mg
(c) NaCl isn’t always a conductor of power inside the stable-country whereas it does behavior electricity in aqueous answer as well as in molten country
(d) Iron articles are galvanised.
(e) Metals like Na, K, Ca and Mg are by no means discovered in their unfastened state in nature.
a) Reactivity of Aluminium decreases if it’s miles dipped in HNO3 due to the fact HNO3 is a strong oxidizing agent. Here, a layer of aluminium oxide gets deposited because of which reactivity of aluminium receives reduced.
(b) Carbon can’t lessen the choices oxides of Na or Mg because those are extraordinarily reactive metals. Na and Mg have a higher affinity to oxygen than carbon. Hence carbon fails to lessen the choices oxides of Na and Mg.
(c) NaCl isn’t a conductor of electricity inside the stable-nation while it does conduct strength in aqueous answer as well as in molten kingdom due to the fact NaCl is an ionic compound. Ionic compounds can’t conduct electricity inside the solid-state, but they can behavior electricity in aqueous answer and in a molten nation.
d) Iron simply reacts with atmospheric oxygen and forms rust. To avoid rusting of iron, it’s far galvanized.
e) Metals like Na, K, Ca and Mg are notably reactive metals. They can shape compounds with almost every detail. Because of this, they’re no longer observed of their local shape in nature.
62. (i) Given under are the steps for extraction of copper from its ore. Write the reaction worried.
(a) Roasting of copper (1) sulphide
(b) Reduction of copper (1) oxide with copper (1) sulphide.
(ii) Draw a neat and properly-labelled diagram for electrolytic refining of copper
63. Of the choices 3 metals X, Y and Z. X reacts with bloodless water, Y with warm water and Z with steam handiest. Identify X, Y and Z and also arrange them so as of increasing reactivity.
X reacts with cold water.
Hence, the choices element have to be Sodium
Na + H₂O → 2NaOH + H₂
Y reacts with warm water; therefore, it’s far “Magnesium.”
Mg + H₂O → Mg(OH)₂ + H₂
Z reacts with steam simplest. Hence, it’s miles Iron
Fe + H₂O → Fe₂O₃+ H₂
Arranging in ascending order (growing order of reactivity)
sixty four. An detail A burns with golden flame within the air. It reacts with some other element B, atomic wide variety 17 to provide a product C. An aqueous solution of product C on electrolysis offers a compound D and liberates hydrogen. Identify A, B, C and D. Also write down the equations for the choices reactions involved.
Element A is Sodium as it will burn with a golden flame inside the air.
Element B is Chlorine for its atomic quantity is 17.
Product C is Sodium Chloride
Product D is Sodium hydroxide
2NaCl+ 2H2O→ 2NaOH+ Cl2+H2
sixty five. Two ores A and B have been taken. On heating ore A offers CO2 whereas, ore B gives SO2. What steps will you are taking to convert them into metals?
Ore A offers CO2 on heating as a result it’s miles a carbonate ore
Steps concerned in Extraction of ore A
Ore is heated in a restrained supply of air to achieve a metal oxide
The metallic oxide is decreased with coke to acquire metallic.
AO+C→ A+ CO
Ore B is a sulphide ore
Steps concerned inside the extraction of detail B are
Ore is heated inside the presence of air to reap a metallic oxide
The steel oxide is decreased to metal by using carbon
NCERT Exemplar Class 10 Science Chapter 3
NCERT Exemplar for Class 10 Science chapter 3 – metals and non-metals is to be had right here totally free down load. These solutions will enable students to increase a clean information of essential topics and questions. Students can also undergo the answers provided, and once they get familiar with the choices NCERT exemplar, they may be able to examine productively or even carry out well inside the checks.
Metals and non-metals Class 10 exemplar offer you with important insights on the concepts worried and makes you prepared to stand exceptional styles of questions. This exemplar has metals and non-metals Class 10 important questions and answers, metals and non-metals Class 10 extra questions, query bank on metals and non-metals Class 10 and vital query taken from the choices preceding 12 months question paper.
The colleges affiliated with CBSE are counseled to comply with the choices NCERT curriculum and textbooks. NCERT textbooks are one of the best observe substances for the students of Class 10 NCERT with all subjects protected in the CBSE syllabus (up to date 2020-2021).
To rating true marks inside the examination; college students need to remedy the choices previous 12 months question papers and sample papers, solving the choices preceding 12 months question papers will help the students to determine the issue level of the questions and the choices marking scheme.
For complete getting to know opportunity, go to BYJU’S internet site or download BYJU’S gaining knowledge of App.
Frequently Asked Questions on metals and non-metals Name one metal and one non-metallic that exist in a liquid state at room temperature. Mercury and Bromine are liquid at room temperature. Name two metals having a melting point less than 310 K (37°C). Caesium and Gallium are the choices metals whose melting factor is less than 310K(37°c). Why should the choices steel sulphides and carbonates be transformed to metallic oxides inside the system of extraction of metal from them?Why must the choices metal sulphides and carbonates be converted to metal oxides inside the system of extraction of metallic from them? Metal sulphides and carbonates are converted to steel oxides inside the system of extraction of metallic from them because metals can be acquired less difficult in oxide shape than its sulphide or carbonate shape.
Frequently Asked Questions on metals and non-metals
Mercury and Bromine are liquid at room temperature.
Caesium and Gallium are the choices metals whose melting factor is much less than 310K(37°c).
Metal sulphides and carbonates are transformed to metal oxides in the technique of extraction of steel from them due to the fact metals may be acquired less complicated in oxide shape than its sulphide or carbonate shape.
Request OTP on Voice Call